The United States says it is revisiting the immigrant visa applications from Nigerians that were rejected under the Trump administration.
In a statement on Tuesday, the US mission in Nigeria said that it has contacted all immigrant visa applicants whose applications were affected by Trump’s presidential proclamations 9645 and 9983.
According to the statement, the US mission is now prioritizing the processing of these pending cases that were affected by the Trump ban.
It, however, denied reports that the new window is open to all Nigerians whose visa applications were rejected under Trump.
“The Proclamation announcement applies only to certain immigrant visa cases, and does not apply to tourist, business, student, or other nonimmigrant visas,” it said.
“Our Consular Sections in Abuja and Lagos are gradually restoring routine visa operations in accordance with COVID-19 safety mitigation protocols.
“The validity of nonimmigrant visa payments (known as the MRV fee) has been extended until September 30, 2022, to allow all applicants who were unable to schedule a visa appointment as a result of the suspension of routine consular operations an opportunity to schedule and/or attend a visa appointment with the already paid fee.
“Non-immigrant visa applicants who were previously refused and would like to apply again will need to submit a new visa application (DS-160) and pay a new visa application processing fee.”